Monday, June 30, 2008

What's Wrong With That?

According to UCLA, while there are currently economic hardships in California's finance, construction and housing sectors, there is still no recession in the state or the U.S.

Even with gas prices at this level.

AFTRA and SAG have a terrific Jekyll and Hyde battle going.

Most of us are members of both unions, which leads me to believe I'm not really arguing with someone in my family as much as I'm simply fighting with myself.

Dunno how productive that is.

Gollum did it in "Lord of the Rings" and look what happened to him (may he rest in peace). I guess it was called "Mount Doom" for a reason...

So, as there is no recession and as we are swimming upstream and downstream with our union(s), where does that put we few, we singers...?

Pretty much the same place we've always been.

Unless you're a member of the Von Trapp Family or the Osmonds -- we're just like stand-up comics or actors...

We're singers...

And pretty much on our own.

That's why, for the most part, we have to create our own work by;

1. Pinching, Pimping, Prodding and Poking Producers -- Know a producer? Bake 'em a cake and tell 'em you'd like to sing for them. What's wrong with that?;
2. Auditioning and creating/building relationships based on our talent - There are actually people out there who WANT TO SEE what's in your toolkit. They even put out notices through the internet, breakdown services and actor publications to get you into the room. Why not show 'em what you got. What's wrong with that?;
3. Writing and Recording -- It's healthy to write. Write a lot. It's healthy to record. Record a lot. What's wrong with that?;
4. Church gigs -- paid/unpaid -- we get stage time and a pretty good message to begin the week with. What's wrong with that?


Hey. What's wrong with that?

You already knew the answer, didn't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"What's wrong with that?" I like that Bill! I have seen your adds in BSW and thought I would check your site out. I would like to audition for musicals and wonder what your services would cost me? Lori Soleil

Various Artists - Musical Beans: Animal Songs for Children